Quarantine has most definitely affected our lifestyles, but that doesn’t mean you should stop enjoying the date nights that always got you through the week!
Jennifer Priem Ph.d and Relationship expert states,
“Remaining stagnant will not sustain a relationship, and what works at one point may not be the best strategy at another point. It doesn’t require “work”, but it does require that we recognize how we maintain our relationships, and adjust our strategies to create the best possible relationship over time.”Priem, 2019
Jennifer Priem also discusses the importance of growing and recognizing each others needs and wants. As a communication scholar, I want to add to your repertoire of ways to keep the spark alive during this pandemic.
Things could get a little dull whether you’re stuck inside with a partner day-in, day-out, or working from home apart from each other. With limited tools to maintain healthy relationships due to social distancing, it’s time to spice up your dates!
Now, before I list anything I just want to restate that the date doesn’t necessarily need to be a perfect candle lite dinner, or an expensive get away! It can be anything as long as it gives the two of you time to spend together.
1. Outdoor Activities
If you’re lucky enough to live in an area with beautiful weather right now, TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT! Working from home, or taking classes online can really bring your energy down.
SO, this is an easy biweekly date as it gives the two of you a chance to get outside and move around a bit. These dates can also bring a positive atmosphere as studies have show that it can reduce stress, depression and increase self-esteem.
Fall Outdoor Activities 2020
Ahh it’s that time of the year again! Here are some great outdoor ideas to keep you active with your partner.
- A bike ride around the neighborhood / park.
- Finding a hiking trail near you.
- Bundling up, and taking a drive to the beach, mountains, or lake.
- Camp in the backyard.
- Have a movie night outside or going to a local drive-in theater.
Check out my favorite project for all my movie date nights! (Affiliate Link: https://amzn.to/3jB02fk)
2. Breakfast Date
Start your morning off right by having a wholesome breakfast together. Yes, dinner dates are good after a long day but who wouldn’t want to start their day with a strong cup of coffee and great conversations?! It can definitely set the mood for how the rest of your day will look like.
Also, if your looking to get out of the house for a bit! Yelp the best outdoor restaurants near you to check out their safety policies.
Okay! By now we’ve all seen some AMAZING room transformations during quarantine. This could be a perfect little date for the two of you to strengthen your collaboration skills around the house.
Whether it’s a small project or a big one. You can actively use your brain while building memories with your partner.
4. Picnic Date
The idea of a picnic is to get away from distractions and responsibilities and just enjoy the quiet outdoors. So, what better date idea during these times then to shut off the distractions and enjoy each others company.
Where you choose to go largely depends on where you live. In many places, a quiet beach, park or even your backyard makes for a perfect picnic date.
You don’t need to get too complicated with what to bring, keep it simple.
- Choose snacks or a meal that you can eat with your hands such as (Crackers, pretzels, fruit, wine, cheese, sandwiches, etc)
- You’ll need a blanket, and something to carry all your food
Click on my favorite amazon finds for picnic dates! (Affiliate Link)
5. Take an Online Yoga Class
Youtube has a variety of yoga classes for anyone to jump in and try out for FREE! It gives the two of you a chance to step away from the screens and unwind together.
6. Dinner / Card Games
Set aside a few nights out of the week to share a meal together. It can be hard making the same kitchen you sit at everyday feel special. So dress up a little! Change out of those homie clothes and lighten the mood!
In the beginning of the relationship it seemed normal to plan dates, and set time aside. However, as you progress together you may fall into a routine, forgetting romance in the daily responsibilities.
Dianne Grande Ph.D wrote, “If you don’t have your next date-night planned, go ahead and do it. It is not really a luxury after all. Consider it a necessity for a happy and life-affirming relationship” in Date Night: Not a Luxury, a Necessity.
- Set up the table differently and use some candles to brighten the mood!
These Echo speakers are my favorites for any dinner date, or party at home! I highly recommend this product for anyone who enjoys entertaining guests.
3. Plan out what to cook or order out. If you need some dinner ideas, check out “21 Fancy Date Night Dinners That Are Actually Easy” OR “24 Romantic Dinners Literally Anyone With an Hour and a Brain Can Make”
4. Don’t forget the drinks! (wine, beer, fresh juice, soda’s, etc) If you want to get a little creative to WOW your partner, check out delish‘s best cocktail recipes.
5. Lastly, indulge in some dessert.
- Trust or Drink – Finding things out about each other and having a blast while doing it!
- I Wish I Didn’t Know! – This game teaches you new things, and sometimes it may not be something you wish you knew…but hey knowledge is knowledge right? This is a great game to play with a partner or a group of friends.
- Cards Against Humanity
- I should have known that!
7. Book a Hotel or Airbnb For A Night
A night or two away from the house will feel like a mini vacation! Order some take-out, bring a bottle of wine and enjoy each others company.
- If you don’t have an Airbnb account yet, click my referral link to get up to $65 off your first trip! (Click here: Airbnb Discount Code)
- Book a hotel room, lounge around all day and enjoy room service!
[Read: 11 Things to Bring For a Romantic Night at a Hotel]
8. Take a Virtual Cooking Class Together
Airbnb has launched an amazing platform allowing you to join wine tastings led by experts, hangout with animals, and take an online cooking class!
The website gives you a variety of options from the comfort of your own home. [Click the link to start something new!]
9. Have a Relaxing Spa day at home
This pandemic has definitely changed our routines, and brought some stress one way or another. It’s important to take a break every once in awhile and relax together to recoup.
Scented candles, face masks, relaxing music, and a little massage oil to help you on your way!
10. Date Night Paintings
Let your creativity flow! All you really need are some art supplies and good company…and maybe some wine. Check out Pinterest or Youtube for some inspiration.