How to Start a Blog: Are you wondering where to start? Or, have you thought about it for awhile but just don’t know how to set it up?
Hi, my name is Arrezo. I’ve spent the last 8 months researching, taking SEO, google ad, and facebook ad courses online. Blogging helped me find exactly what I want to do, and has taught me vital lessons along the way. So, to save you time, I’ve created a free step-by-step tutorial to help you begin your journey!
A list of 6 steps to follow when getting starting:
- Pick a niche and a name for your website.
- Choose a self-hosted WordPress website.
- Pick a host.
- Find your domain name and start your WordPress blog.
- Design your Website.
- Get blogging!
Why should you start a blog?
There are a million reasons why you should consider starting one. I personally started mine because I graduated college with a double major in Psychology and Marketing and wanted to use my knowledge in both fields.
My blog has allowed me too:
- Connect with like minded therapists.
- Help others with their relationship questions.
- Make money on my own schedule during this pandemic.
Popular reasons why other people start:
- You can make money around your schedule. Things happen and emergencies come up. So this gives you the advantage to plan out your schedule and work on your own.
- You can make money working from anywhere. Blogging requires you to have a computer or laptop and wifi to get you going. The flexibility is perfect if your in college, have a day job, or just looking to make some extra cash on the side.
- It looks great on resumes. Having a strong resume with knowledge that can help you stand out from others is key. Your journey of blogging will teach you new things and help you expand on your career goals without you even knowing it.
What you should know before starting!
- When I first started, I learned things the hard way because I started on a free hosted website thinking it would be the same. But after studying big bloggers that make thousands a month blogging, they all had one common answer for me…and that was to get a SELF-HOSTED WORDPRESS WEBSITE.
- Now, at first I didn’t understand but after doing tons of research it made sense why they pushed for a self-hosted WordPress website instead of a free blogging platform like Bluehost (it’s only $3.95 a month and totally worth it!).
Here are some reasons why you don’t want a free website for your Blog:
- Some free services control how much money you are able to make on their platform. They do this in order to promote their own products and services to you so that you could pay for them. Also, they don’t support you that much since it is free.
- You are provided with basic themes and have a limited selection of how you want it to look. The limited options, and minimum amount of features makes a big difference with not only how many people will visit your site but also how professional it will look. You also have to put their name at the end of your URL link. For example, http://wishuponarrezo.wix.com
- If you decide to upgrade to the better service, you will lose all your work. I’ve made this mistake and it took me weeks to transfer all my content over to the upgraded website.
I said this before but im going to say it again! this only costs $3.95 a month and will definitely save you time.
How To Set Up The Blog
WordPress has two options. They have the hosted option (wordpress.com) and a self-hosted option (wordpress.org). Don’t let the .org scare you! your website can still have a .com at the end of it.
So, you’re going to download WordPress to your computer, and just in case you don’t know what this is. WordPress is a software that is set up to help you design your website and upload your posts.
2. Pick a host.
You will need to pick a host to get your website ‘live’ and viewable on the internet.
There are many hosts to choose from, but I only recommend Bluehost.
I love this platform simply because it’s cheap and gives you everything you need when starting out. Secondly, their customer service is super helpful. I’ve messaged them at odd hours and they always respond quickly with solutions that actually help me.
3. Go to the Bluehost website.
Click the black button that says “Get Started”.
4. Choose your plan.
When I started I used the Choice Plus plan only because it wasn’t that different compared to the basic plan.
5. Pick a Blog Name/ Domain for your website.
This is what people will need to search online when wanting to get to your site. So try to make it simple, something the reader will remember, and make sure the URL is available!
6. Add in your account information.
Make sure you remember the information you write down! especially your email.
7. Design your website.
This is where the fun begins! Allow your creativity to flow and express what the website needs to represent. There are different themes to choose from but if you want a professional looking theme you are always able to purchase one on etsy.com. JUST MAKE SURE THE THEME WORKS WITH WORDPRESS.
That’s all you need to set up your blog!
Congratulations! you are now on the right track.